Saturday, June 30, 2012

Tipping the Scale


My scale of food choices has been tipped! My desire for health outweighs any other desire causing me to eat. The number one reason for food choice is taste. I like fruit teas, rolls, creamy salads, and cookies right out of the oven. As a dietitian, I love that a moderate and balanced diet makes room for every food to fit. However, I fit these foods into my daily routine until it caused my body not fit into my life. My thinking was thwarted. I habitually ate calories above my need for them. There are many reasons I ate what I ate, but now I’m finding that the emotion for health outweighs any desire to choose calorie-rich foods for taste or otherwise. Yes, there are thoughts that, “I would like to have ____.” But those thoughts have a small voice compared to the excitement that makes health an easy choice. And you know what else? If I really want it, I know I can have it. Suddenly calorie-dense beverages are just not as appealing. Sure I still like the taste, but I do not like how it makes me feel or look after I feed it to my body. Some of my favorite foods are just not worth the calories anymore. I still might have something occasionally, but now I make sure that it fits within my calorie allotment that will still promote weight loss. This feels like LIFE. It feels easy. I’m losing weight faster now. 

Oh and I've lost another four pounds! 

Nutritional Nugget:
Baby it is HOT outside!  I know I've posted several things about water, but these temperatures remind me again.  

This first sign for dehydration is thirst.  Other symptoms include dry sticky mouth, tiredness, headache, constipation, dizziness, light-headedness. If dehydration persists, it could lead to more severe symptoms and even cause heat-stroke.  Make sure you've always got plenty of fluids with you even when you are swimming.  Water and sports drinks are the best for outside activity.  Avoid colas because they bind up water.  Knowing the unhealthy benefits of soft drinks as well as the empty calories they have makes it easy for me to stay away from them especially in this heat. 
DRINK WATER! 


No comments:

Post a Comment