Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Chocolate Gravy and Hypothyroidism

As a dietitian, I've done quite a bit of one-on-one nutritional counseling with a large majority needing to lose weight.  I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard something like, "Well, my thyroid doesn't produce like it is supposed to."   I ALMOST had to add that to my pet peeve list.  Then one day I found my hair was falling out like crazy.  I was so tired and desired sleep more than eating.  My finger nails became very brittle.  I was nursing at the time, and my supply was really low.  I had a diagnoses of hypothyroidism when I was in college, but was healed of that.  I was familiar with the symptoms so when I recognized them coming back,  I went to see my fabulous doctor.  I found myself telling him, "I'd like my thyroid checked because (insert symptoms here)....and I know people use this as an excuse, but I really am having trouble losing weight."    Turns out that I was indeed very low.  (The TSH number is actually high when you are low.)  Since then I've been able to come off my pills again, but every now and then I wonder, "Is this slow weight loss because my thyroid is hypoactive?"

I recently had a great conversation with someone who is obese and has taken expensive and drastic measure to lose weight.  She lost weight for two years, but now has regained the weight and swears her surgery quit working.  Listening to her talk and describe her weight loss woes was like listening to a recording of me. I might not have taken drastic measures, but it was definitely the same song different verse.  Of course the conversation eventually came around to food.  She planned to go home and make chocolate gravy.   "Mmmmm, Chocolate gravy."  I said.   "That's one of my favorites.  I think that's why my thyroid quit working!" Then we both laughed really hard for a while which I'm sure burned a few calories.

Nutritional Nugget
It is true. A  fat body acts differently than a skinny body.  Our bodies want to be the weight we are.  It is great when you get your body on your side and working efficiently for a healthy weight.  I wish I could take back every time in college I just didn't "feel" like going to work out.  Knowing what I know now, I would have gone and had fun despite the messages my body was trying to distract me with.  Getting regular check ups and labs drawn are important.  Plenty of places do community health fairs where labs might be drawn for cheap or free.  The following are some symptoms of having a low thyroid:

  • Fatigue
  • Sluggishness
  • Increased sensitivity to cold
  • Constipation
  • Pale, dry skin
  • A puffy face
  • Hoarse voice
  • An elevated blood cholesterol level
  • Unexplained weight gain
  • Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
  • Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
  • Muscle weakness
  • Heavier than normal menstrual periods
  • Brittle fingernails and hair
  • Depression
Info came from  mayoclinic.com



Chocolate Gravy (Because sometimes it is necessary to make every food fit.)
I always remember the recipe as "1, 2, 3, 4."

1 cup of sugar   (yikes!)
2 cups of milk
3 tablespoons of cocoa
4 tablespoons of flour

Mix together dry ingredients, then add the milk.  Stir in a saucepan until it boils and thickens.  Serve over a biscuit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment