Friday, December 28, 2012

Freedom Food


"You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he is expecting to wake up.  Ironically this is not far from the truth."

I love this Matrix quote, and it is so fitting to how I feel right now.  I've felt like this before in other areas of my life.....like the veil  is fixing to pop off.  I feel a freedom approaching.  Because I know it is there for me to wake up to, I can accept where I am now.  I am content.

I've been thinking a lot about what I'm referring to as freedom foods.  It makes sense to me in my little mind.  They are the foods that promote freedom from flesh.    I'm tired of  the real me hiding behind a body that is still too heavy.   Instead of viewing foods as something I can't have, I now see foods as something that will help me get free from this body that is weighing me down.

It isn't a bunch of rules as much as it is a perspective.  I've lost my feeling of deprivation that I used to have when on a diet.  I've lost (and still losing) a feeling that I must lose weight to become somebody.     I've lost some (and still losing) some of this fleshy flesh that makes me feel tired, or feel awkward if I can't find just the right size on the jeans rack.  I'm separating from all those things of bondage.  I feel like Neo.....accepting what I see because I know I'm waking up....fixing to break free from an illusion.

Freedom foods help me to do just that.   Instead of seeing high calorie foods as something I can't have, I see more healthful foods as eating freedom.  It is an easy choice for me to make now.  Sweet tea or water?   Lunch at the buffet or the salad bar?  And what for a quick breakfast?  Hardee's or a slice of toast and a piece of fruit.  Which foods bring the freedom?  All foods fit,  but I can guarantee I won't feel like I'm walking in freedom about an hour after I've eaten a greasy sausage biscuit.

I'm free to eat all things, but which foods promote my freedom?  Which foods remind you that you are free?


Nutritional Nugget:

Five More Tips To Add Fruits and Vegetables From the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
eatright.org

1. “Sandwich” in fruits and vegetables. Add pizzazz to sandwiches with sliced pineapple, apple, peppers, cucumber and tomato as fillings.

2. Wake up to fruit. Make a habit of adding fruit to your morning oatmeal, ready-to-eat cereal, yogurt or toaster waffle.

3. Top a baked potato with beans and salsa or broccoli and low-fat cheese.

4. Microwave a cup of vegetable soup as a snack or with a sandwich for lunch.

5. Add grated, shredded or chopped vegetables such as zucchini, spinach and carrots to lasagna, meat loaf, mashed potatoes, pasta sauce and rice dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment