Saturday, December 29, 2012

Snowball Effect


"Know Thyself"   That is one of those philosophical cornerstones that chapters are written about in personal development classes, but it sure is Truth.  Knowing myself and working with myself without expectation not only helps me enjoy my journey, but effortlessly delivers me where I want to go. 

It's hard to strap on the running shoes and crave vegetables if the most energy one can muster is to pull up the covers and lift the TV remote.  Sometimes it takes an unexplanable motivation from within to take the first baby step.  Healthfulness is like a snowball effect.  Get that ball rolling and keep it moving until it is so huge it rolls itself without any effort from you.  The first step to gathering up the snow is knowing thyself.  I know areas in my thinking and habits that keep me snowed under instead of treading the high ground.  This is how I've started rolling the ball.

Even if I don't feel like it, I put on my exercise pants all the way down to my running shoes.  It takes very little motivation for me to put on my favorite tennis shoes ever.   Once they are on, I am more likely to exercise.   The next baby step is that I purpose in my heart to do the exericise of my plan.   I found a "plan" on the internet that suits me and my personal goals.   I still can't or don't make it a law/rule/expectation.  The plan isn't even a goal.  It serves me as a guide.  I adjust it so it fits me. It only adds to my life.  If I experience any negative emotion about it, then I need to readjust my thinking.   I remind myself,  "It's only 15 minutes."  Or  two miles, or whatever it is.  Baby step out the door.  The snowball has grown.  I actually look forward to the yoga pants, tennis shoes, breathing the crisp air, and the freedom I feel as I go.  

I also decided to take some supplements to help with my energy level.  I can tell they do make a difference.   I visited the health food store to determine what was best for me.  I make sure it is natural stuff and I prefer ones that do not contain caffeine or anything else of that sort.  In the past, I might have big ideas to take a bunch of vitamins, but that gets boring really quickly.   I end up with a cabinet full of pill bottles and less money in the pocket.    I baby step by attachng a new habit to an established one.  I take my vitamins with a tall glass of water before my coffee as my first baby step of the morning.  

Choosing freedom foods for especially breakfast and lunch helps keep  my energy level up to keep on rolling through supper.  Avoiding sugary, high fat, and processed foods is best.  Drinking water when I feel I'm beginning to wilt really helps as well.  

I still have a problem going to bed on time, but getting plenty of good quality sleep helps too.  I bought some herbal teas to enjoy before bedtime.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to have get me some breathe right strips or something because apparently I'm a snorer.  If I purpose in my heart to get into bed at a certain time, I will.

All these things are just baby steps that come naturally with the proper perspective.   These are my baby steps that come from knowing myself.  What are things you do to keep get your ball rolling?


Nutritional Nugget:


Five More Tips To Add Fruits and Vegetables From the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
eatright.org


1. Make fruit your dessert: Slice a banana lengthwise and top with a scoop of low-fat  frozen yogurt. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of chopped nuts.

2. Stock your freezer with frozen vegetables to steam or stir-fry for a quick side dish.

3. Make your main dish a salad of dark, leafy greens and other colorful vegetables. Add chickpeas or edamame (fresh soybeans). Top with low-fat dressing.

4. Fruit on the grill: Make kabobs with pineapple, peaches and banana. Grill on low heat until fruit is hot and slightly golden.

5. Dip: Whole wheat pita wedges in hummus, baked tortilla chips in salsa, strawberries or apple slices in low-fat yogurt, or graham crackers in applesauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment