Thursday, June 20, 2013

Y R U FAT

I heard Richard Simmons say once that he either had or saw a license plate that read, "YRUFAT".

So take a second to think about the answer to that question.  What is the reason that people are overweight?     Do you have an answer?   Okay, then read on.

I suppose there are a bunch of reason, but basically people usually either say lack of exercise, poor diet, or genetics/health.

There is new study from a group at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor that says people who name lack of exercise as the main cause of obesity are more likely to be heavier than those who believe poor diet is the culprit.    More than two-thirds of adults in the United States are overweight.   Inactivity and genetics are definitely factors, but evidence says the main reason is over eating. Portion Control is the Key!

Wayne and I got a gym membership once that came with a visit from a personal trainer.  One of the first things the guy said was, "losing weight is about 90% diet and the rest exercise."   It appears Mr. 2% Body Fat was 100% right.

The findings from McFerran and colleagues suggest that beliefs about weight influence food choices.

I believe in balance and a big picture.  I know myself enough to know that a little exercise may not burn as many calories as limiting portions, but it does elevate stress which makes me not want to stress eat.  It curbs my appetite so I automatically eat less without trying.  It makes me sleep better so I feel rested.  When I'm sleepy I tend to eat more.  After I exercise I have a real deep-down feeling of goodness so I'm less likely to try to get that feeling from taste.

But on the other hand, people tend to think that they can eat more if they exercise.  There has to be a partnership between the two with diet being the leader of the team.  Everything has its place and works together to make health work.   Life feels better when we wear it where it fits.



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He had a plate that read y r u fat. Easy to look up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was his plate. I memorized it when his limo driver forced me into oncoming traffic as we were both leaving a hotel at the same time.

    ReplyDelete