Saturday, November 10, 2012

And With a View of Journey's End

It is nice to be in a place on the journey where the only reasons I eat are because  I need nourishment and just for the pure, simple pleasure of it.

Enjoying life… What a concept!

The goal and place of rest is to have no consciousness of fat or food. Food adds to my enjoyment of life, but it is not my life. 

The “nucleus” of chaos, confusion, and distraction is a sly little temptation that says, “If you are _____, then _____.” It’s a sneaky one this thought. If you are somebody, then PROVE it by losing weight, exercising, eating better, etc. etc. etc.  Becoming and doing sounds so noble to those who are still sleeping. No wonder it was a snake who brought this temptation to Adam.

 There is no magic formula, but these are things I think about that keep me from following into a food trap and the lie that I am only valuable if...
  • Remind myself daily that I’m worthy of health.
  • I’m worth taking a walk/run in the morning.
  • Going to bed at a decent time to get enough rest is good for me.
  • Buying more whole and healthful foods at the store is what I really want, and it is okay for me to have what I really want.  Then I make plans of how I want to eat it.
  • Drink water and more water.
  • Write down foods I eat and monitor my calorie intake on paper to give me a proper perspective. 
  • Patience with myself.
  • No pressure or expectations on myself to get results.
      I'm good enough, smart enough, and dog gone it, people like me. 
This journey has been more about skinning up the insides and it is exciting to think how the physical will follow.  When I’m distraction free, I feel like I’m already at the end of this journey and this is what it feels like.
  • No more fear of failure.
  • No eating for stress or comfort.
  • No eating for boredom.
  • Habits are changed.
  • Pressure-free eating.
At the journey's end, food adds to my enjoyment of life. I can’t remember the pangs of being fat. It feels like “that wasn’t so bad.”  Remembering being fat as if it was just a dream and never a reality.

I lost another 3 pounds.



Nutritional Nugget: 

Five Tips to add more fruits and vegetables from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 
eatright.org

1. Variety abounds when using vegetables as pizza topping. Try broccoli, spinach, green peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms and zucchini.
2. Mix up a breakfast smoothie made with low-fat milk, frozen strawberries and a banana.
3. Make a veggie wrap with roasted vegetables and low-fat cheese rolled in a whole-wheat tortilla.
4. Try crunchy vegetables instead of chips with your favorite low-fat salad dressing for dipping.
5. Grill colorful vegetable kabobs packed with tomatoes, green and red peppers, mushrooms and onions.

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff Audrey! I've been doing a weight loss program called Prism, www.pwlp.com. A lot of what you talk about is what I've been learning too. My worth is not because I do to be, but in knowing my worth, I can be to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome, Heather! Something about hearing that is so encouraging. God pong!

      Delete