Monday, November 12, 2012

Enjoying the PENT-house

I love THINKING lessons. I have a new favorite science game that exercises the brain. One of the tips it gave me to improve brain health is to avoid thoughts of obligation, encouraged having a  lighthearted attitude, and an enjoyable life. Cool ‘eh?!? I loved this! Just another confirmation of the way of thinking I believe we were made for.

I love the word, “Repent.” I’ve learned that “-pent” is the same meaning where we get the word “penthouse.” “Repent” means to “return to the high way of thinking.” My poor little flabby brain was weak because I of how I believed in the past.  I believed, "I am what I do."   So happy to “return to the high place.”  The High place is seeing things from the perspective that God sees.  Sounds really noble, but it is really difficult.  To see ourselves the way God sees us takes great humility.  Humility is always thought to be lowly, but remember in God's Kingdom, everything is topsy-turvy!  The high place IS humility.  To believe about ourselves who God says we are returns us to his way of thinking.  I am so glad his ways were higher than my ways and his thoughts were higher than my thoughts.  I'm so thankful he lifts me up to see things from his pent house.  Too good.  Just too, too good!

For brain and body health, I cast out thoughts like the following:
  • That I’m worth less because of my physical appearance.
  • Cast out regret for “letting myself go.”
  • No “If Only…” self talk.
  • Not allowing myself to feel overwhelmed because I get bogged down with how I need to improve.
  • Opinions of others thinking I’m less than.
  • Put pressure on myself to get results.
Thoughts like these have done nothing but delay my journey.

I will change my way of thinking, return to the high place, and see me for the real me.
 
Nutritional Nugget:

Five More Tips To Add Fruits and Vegetables From the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
eatright.org
 
1. Keep cut vegetables handy for mid-afternoon snacks, side dishes, lunch box additions or a quick nibble while waiting for dinner. Ready-to-eat favorites: red, green or yellow peppers, broccoli or cauliflower florets, carrots, celery sticks, cucumbers, snap peas or whole radishes.

2. Place colorful fruit where everyone can easily grab something for a snack-on-the run. Keep a bowl of fresh, just ripe whole fruit in the center of your kitchen or dining table.

3. Get saucy with fruit. Puree apples, berries, peaches or pears in a blender for a thick, sweet sauce on grilled or broiled seafood or poultry, or on pancakes, French toast or waffles.

4.  Add color to salads with baby carrots, grape tomatoes, spinach leaves or mandarin oranges.

5.  Stuff an omelet with vegetables. Turn any omelet into a hearty meal with broccoli, squash, carrots, peppers, tomatoes or onions with low-fat sharp cheddar cheese.






No comments:

Post a Comment