Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Cutting the Cord

This week, I had a thought rise up to try to bring me down.  This thought was trying to get me to identify with my weight instead of the person I really am.  It was attached to a fear that next week my weight loss journey would become hard, impossible, and end. "What if I fail again?  I'm doing so good this go around.  I don't want to fall back on this journey."

I captured that thought and gave it a good old fashioned whoopin'.    #1: I am NOT my weight.  The lbs on the scale do not define me.  #2:  Am I really making this my effort after a proven track record that I in my own self cannot do it?  #3: Anything attached to fear is just imaginary. I don't want any of my behaviors to be birthed from a fearful thought even if the outcome is positive.  Where is the life in that?  

I dissected that ponder just for fun.  I discovered it came from an a dark place where I still am hanging on to some things old stinky things about me.  It was crazy!  I'm just about to cross into my next goal weight.  It was almost like the old me didn't want to.  "The last time I weighed that weight, this and that were happening in my life.  I was trying to identify with circumstances and using the number on the scale to sort of subcontiously tie me down to that time in my life.  It was as if I didn't want to visit that weight because it reminded me of things that were happening when I weighed that.  (weirdo.)   I cut that cord quickly by just settling that those thoughts are ridiculous and reminded myself that SHE doesn't live here anymore. I want to dismiss anything that ties me to my old nature, habits, and beliefs.   I dismissed it as if it was piece of trash I tossed in the garbage can.  I choose life.  I am letting go of that old bondage. It's a waste of time to think like that.  I was thankful for the emotions that alerted me of such a dangerous hidden thought.  Let's cross that weight loss goal milestone and continue this journey.

Nutritional Nugget:  Coconut Oil

Coconut oil seems to be talk of the town in health circles.  It's a strange phenomenon to me because it had such a bad reputation not too long ago. I don't want to know what my face looked like the first time I heard a health nut advocate coconut oil in a lecture.  It was among the worst of fats as I learned in lectures and observed in a plethora of fat profile charts because of the terribly high saturated fat content.  I'm not 100% sure what caused the turnover, but I have read that the initial research used a partially hydrogenated coconut oil.  Partially hydrogenated anything is TERRIBLE.  It's trans fat and terrible for health.  Virgin coconut oil is a different story.  It is LOADED in saturated fats, but not all saturated fats are created equal.  Coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid and reacts differently in the body.  It actually raises the HDL (healthy) cholesterol.  Conclusive research is still pending regarding a host of other benefits.  Fat is still fat, but it seems coconut oil is a healthy alternative to many.  Vegan recipes use it for things such as frostings.  My BFF bought me a jar last year for my birthday and I thought it was such a neat gift.  She uses for things beyond cooking including skin care.  I've been cooking with it and really enjoy the flavor and outcome of my recipes.  It's nice to be friends with such a natural goody again.

1 comment:

  1. OK, super behind on my blog reading, I know, but I've been using coconut oil instead of shaving cream. (Can't remember where I read about it. Before that I was using grapeseed oil, but I have to order it, and coconut oil we can buy in bulk at Costco. Coconut oil is also delicious for popping popcorn and cooking all sorts of things).

    ReplyDelete