Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 7 Food For Thought: Food Hoarding

We don't have television, but I have seen a clip or two about hoarders. Apparently it is a popular show, and I must admit I am also intrigued by it. Why? I do not know. If I dare to take a guess, I think the root of whatever it is in people that causes hoarding has been planted in me too. I thought of a term I had never thought of before this week. “Food Hoarder.” I don't mean stocking up the pantry, I mean stuffing our bodies with excessive, unnecessary food. It is a mentality that if it is food I will eat it and never say no to it. The worst thing you can tell a food hoarder is, “If you don't eat it, it will go to waste.” Honestly, doing this is honoring food above our own bodies. We value food so we eat it like we are human garbage disposals. It seems to grow from a belief of lack. “I am not enough.” It is like using food to fill a void or distract us from some bigger issue in our soul. It is a feeling that food will make it all better and so we can't get enough. It is over eating and binge eating. It is bondage that we have already been delivered from. Sometimes we just need to be reminded we are free. Free to eat and free to not eat. We are worth more than that “box of Little Debbie's in one sittin'.”

I believe having that mentality of food hoarding is a glimpse of a much deeper issue. I have not only eaten too much in the past, I keep everything! I totally need to cut out some stuff. It is interesting... although I am purging my eating habits, my heart is the real thing that is being purged and as a result, I also have cleaner closets! Today as I was driving by myself, I was thinking about this. I asked Father, what is it in my heart that makes feel like I need to be a hoarder even on a small scale? I've not gotten the answer yet. It will come when I am ready to hear it.

Wins for Today:
This is the last day of the first week. I have made some strides, but don't want to get to comfortable because I have a long way to go. Tomorrow is my first weigh in. I'm excited to see how much I have lost, but even if I have not lost one single pound, I will not be discouraged. The real victory is that I already feel lighter in my heart. Food was hardly an issue for me today. It feels good to feel free.

For supper I ate a broccoli slaw wrap. I just spread a tortilla with a small amount of all natural ranch dip. Sprinkled it with broccoli slaw. Rolled it up and ate it. I enjoyed it so much, I hated when it was over. It was only about 200 calories or less. I am already looking forward to enjoying one again tomorrow.

Nutritional Nuggets
Something to try to avoid is Trans Fatty Acids. They are so terrible for our health that it is required by our government to list the trans fats on the food label. The manufacturers can still list zero if it has less than 1 gram per serving or something like that. To double make sure what you eat is trans fat free, read the ingredient list to make sure it does not list something like, “hydrogenated oil.” It might say, “partially hydrogenate vegetable oil,” or something similar.

Trans fats are a man made saturated fat. They act like saturated fats in raising cholesterol, but they also lower the good cholesterol and studies have even shown they inflame or harden arteries. Nope. Not good at all. The reason we have had so many products made with this is because it tastes good, it produces a longer shelf life, and it is cheaper. Just say, “No” to trans fats.

No comments:

Post a Comment