Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Hotdog Jack

Today is my Jack's 4th birthday. He is the most unique child I've ever met. One of my most favorite things about Jack is his love for food. It is not just a physical love, it is a passion. The quickest way to Jack's heart is definitely through the taste buds. Kid LOVES to eat. He loves to help cook. He wears his apron more than I wear mine. He plays El Tap. He makes birthday "dinners" complete with cakes in his toy kitchen. He has a "Hotdog store" where he pretends it is a grocery store/deli. His pirate name is "Hotdog Jack." His ninja name is "Chef Fighter" with two wooden spoons as his weapons. He informed me of a limited list of places he will visit. They included: Nana'house, Moowee's house, Kendall's house, El Tap, Burger King, and Old McDonald's. Kendall's house is chosen because it is so fun. Every other place is because of what he eats or cooks there. He will taste anything and is hands down the most versatile eater in the house. He doesn't just eat, he dines. This is a child who might dance in his chair after taking a bite of something delish. He began asking for this year's birthday cake before Christmas last year. Throughout the year, he added more and more cakes. It started with a Sally Cake and then a Football cake. A few weeks ago after hearing him discuss all his cakes he wanted, I said, "Jack, I just don't think we could have six cakes for your birthday." He said, "I don't want six cakes. I want seven." We had a family party. His Aunt Boo made him a Sally cake and a football cake. Then we had a candy bar (like a salad bar of candy) and two kinds of cupcakes for the guests to decorate. He loved it.

Jack has this funny little personality that makes him act incredibly awkward in the presence of others, but he morphs into a totally different child in the grocery store. This quiet and shy guy suddenly starts making up songs about the foods he wants to purchase. Everyone who passes laughs at his enthusiasm in produce section or bakery. I usually end up spending more when I take Jack to the grocery store. When I bring home groceries, Jack is the one who unloads them. It is as exciting as Christmas morning. (I am not exaggerating. I have it on film.) Each item, no matter what, is treasured and he usually takes the more exceptional pieces and shows them to his dad and brothers. It is awesome. Uncle Ben got Jack a thermal lunch sack and had "Hotdog Jack" embroidered on it. It was filled with Nathan's Famous Hotdogs. Jack loved it. In honor of Jack, we dined today.

For his breakfast, I made oatmeal pancakes with whipped cream and a gum drop on top, and of course a candle.
Nathan's Famous Hotdog for Lunch.
El Tap for supper.

I looked through Jack's birthday party pictures today. I hate to have my picture taken, but someone caught me in a picture when I was helping him with the cakes. YUCK-O-RAMA. The good thing about this image is that it did not throw me into the pit of despair, rather it became an encouragement for me to want to eat less, watch those portions, and exercise today.

Nutritional Nugget: More sweety potatoes

Thanksgiving is just around the corner. One of my all time favorite pies is sweet potato pie. I always start thinking about it this time of year. I thought I had Granny's recipe. It was yummy and I remember making it with her. I couldn't find it anywhere so I called Granny who said she couldn't remember how to make it because she didn't much care for it anyway. Ha Ha Ha! I looked in every church cookbook I had and no sweet potato pie recipe. What's wrong with these good southern church ladies? So alas, I had to pull one from the ever faithful internet. If you are going to eat pie, you might as well eat one loaded with vitamin A.

This recipe is from Paula Dean---A truly good southern lady.(We never had a meringue on our sweet potato pie. That seems weird to me.)

Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie

3 egg whites
1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1-2 tablespoons bourbon
1/2 stick melted butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 cups peeled, cooked sweet potatoes
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

For the filling, using an electric hand mixer, combine the potatoes, 1 cup of the sugar, the butter, eggs, vanilla, salt, and spices. Mix thoroughly. Add the milk and continue to mix. Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Place the pie on a rack and cool to room temperature before covering with meringue.

For the meringue, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form; beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is glossy and stiff, but not dry. With a rubber spatula, spoon the meringue onto the pie, forming peaks. Make sure the meringue touches the crust all around. Sprinkle with a pinch of granulated sugar. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until delicately browned. Cool and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment