Sunday, October 30, 2011

Rest is Rest, Not a Magic Potion

The thought occurred to me that, "Yes! This grace stuff works!" I almost had the audacity to think of people I can give this testimony to prove real-live, true-blue, pure grace IS the power to change. It obviously does work, don't get me wrong, but as soon as that thought came to my consciousness, The Lord quickly reminded me that resting is not a formula. It's a fruit of what we believe--who we believe in (Who believes in us). We don't rest to get or change. The change does come, but regardless if it ever does or not, we'll rest. Resting in his love and peace and submitting to his desire to pamper us without us ever doing anything is the goal. That thing (Flabby Flub or whatever,) we see where need to change is not the goal, that just keeps us in self-consciousness. I don't want to get prideful into thinking, "Look how good I'm resting because I'm changing." That is just as bad as dieting. I'm trying to do it myself. I'm getting back into works and out of grace. I've turned grace into a doctrine or a formula. I don't even want to allow those thoughts to enter my mind either. They're sneaky because it seems like this is what it is all about and the right way of thinking. Nope. "Jesus loves me this I know." That is the goal and the rest. It's humbling to allow him to love us perfectly and understand that he sees us perfectly even though we see how far we have to go on our journey. What's humbling is to adopt his perspective. Jesus loves me this I know, and I will think on those things. Then by consequence, I'll wake one day and wonder where did all my weight go? Effortless change that had ZERO to do with me. YES! I'll take it.

Nutritional Nugget
I went to a retirement reception for a professor I had back in the day. It was a nice time, but really yucky weather. Soup became a topic of discussion because on days like this, soup sounds perfect for supper. I love soups too. I was reminiscing with one of my nutrition professors and adviser about a soup she made for us once. This soup is really yummy and nutritious. It has been a while since I made it, but I plan to do so again soon.

Double Corn Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 cup chopped onion
6 gloves garlic, minced
1 banana or red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tsp cumin or curry powder
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 (about 3 ears)fresh-cut corn kernels (Frozen corn works too.)
1 1/2 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 cups low fat or defatted chicken broth
1 1/2 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken
2 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1/4 cup snipped fresh basil
2 cups corn chips
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend

In a 3 quart saucepan or stockpot, cook chopped onion, garlic, peppers, and cumin in hot oild about 5 minutes or till onion is transparent, stirring constantly. Don't let the garlic brown. Add corn kernels, tomatoes, chicken broth, and shredded cooked chicken. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add oregano and basil.

To serve ladle soup and top with corn chips. Garnish each bowl of soup with shredded cheese, and fresh basil, if desired. Makes 6 main-dish servings. Serve with warm tortillas. NOTE: If leftover chicken is not available, use deli-roasted chicken.

Nutrition facts per serving: 274 cal, 13 g total fat (2g saturated), 29 mg chol., 504 mg sodium, 26 g carb, 4g fiber, 16g pro. Daily Values: 7% Vita A. 78% Vitamin C. and 14% Iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment