Saturday, October 29, 2011

I'm Naked?

I've been thinking about my little breakthrough. The explanation to this freedom is simple. Adam and Even lived in a state of bliss where they walked with God. They were so aware of God that they didn't even know they were naked. They were naked the whole time, you know?

I remember when I was a sophomore in high school, I was teaching creation to some preschool kids. One little boy was really paying attention, I guess, and heard two of the main points. 1) They were in a garden and 2) they were naked. His response to the story: "Adam got splinters in his pee pee." (Chase Bishop, if you are out there, buddy, that was totally you!)

Anyway, it wasn't until Adam and Eve believed the lie that they "lacked" that they became more aware of self than God-conscious. All this stuff about "self help," "growing," "You can be better if..." Is just plain ol' crapola. You know, I realize that most people would see that as a dangerous comment. I can just hear them, "You go and tell people they are good enough where they are, and they'll get into sin and take advantage of the freedom. And for you to believe like that, you've got a lot of growing to do." Yeah, yeah, yeah. Or maybe they would be like me and be so grateful for the truth that sets them free that they start living life and don't realize they are doing anything.

Thursday, I was still on a high of freedom....just enjoying the rest, and this is what our day looked like. (The only reason I'm listing what I did is to give a little weight to those skeptics out there.) I woke up happy. I had no expectations on myself all day. I ate, but not too much. I didn't have food on my mind. I made sausage and biscuit for the boys, but I ate a bowl of FiberOne because I felt I needed it. I enjoyed it and didn't crave sausage and biscuit. I enjoyed myself all day. I played with my boys A LOT! and I did so without thinking about what all needs to get done. I cleaned everything on my list for my house. It just sort of happened. I didn't really mean to. I taught my boys how to help me without getting frustrated at their preschool efforts and tantrums. Whatever I had, spilled over to them. Luke took initiative and picked up all the toys that were downstairs and took them upstairs without me telling me. I gave him some candy for taking initiative with a good attitude, and he shared it with his brother. Wha?!?! I took three little boys to town to run some errands at several stores. We had a whole lot of fun at the children's museum. Then I took them grocery shopping. I got home and I made supper for us. We had baked BBQ chicken with baked beans, mashed potatoes, and macaroni and cheese. I didn't over eat. My portions were just right and I didn't crave more food. I prepped a few suppers for us for the rest of the week, and I made a whole week's worth of supper for a family who needs it. I was planning on straightening the house again, but my lovely husband wanted me to spend time with him. I submitted. We watched "Count of Monte cristo." (I so love that movie.) I enjoyed myself. I didn't feel stressed that there was still a little mess in the kitchen. I didn't put pressure on myself or anybody else. I enjoyed myself where I was without thinking that I can only have fun if I get certain things done. (Those days are over hopefully.) It was a really nice day. Ben woke up about four times before morning. I wasn't aggravated. I genuinely felt love for that little bumpkin all night and it was easy to get up each time to attend to his needs.

I actually had to really sit and think about what I did because all I remembered really is that it was a great day. THAT is what resting in grace and basking in his love will do. I promise you that if I had tried to squeeze all that in one day before this breakthrough, I couldn't have and I would have felt exhausted and frustrated. This is the place to be. Nothing has changed except my perception.

There is a diet out there I've heard of called, "Back to the Garden." I think it has something to do with eating whole foods like Adam and Eve would have. I've never read anything on it, I've just heard people talk about it before. Well, now I'm on a new plan I can call, "Back to the Garden." It is that I stay God-focused. Does that really mean that I've arrived. Well, of course not. Anyone who thinks they know stuff doesn't know anything. That's Bible. It's not humbling either to tell yourself and others of where you need to grow. It's prideful because it causes us to focus on us. Being able to pinpoint where you or others need to grow is nothing short of judgment. Folks who do that are being the serpent to yourself or others calling attention to the lack. Adam and Eve believed the lie that was mixed in with some truth, "If you eat of this fruit you will be like God." Um...the truth was they were already like God. He created them in his image. The life on the inside of them came from the very breath of God Almighty. They already had his perspective. They just lost focused and decided to fix something that didn't need fixing. (Sounds familiar to me!) They ate the fruit to become like God when they already were. They fell for it. Once they took "being" out of the place God had them and into their own actions, their eyes were opened to every area that they lacked. "OMG I'm naked!"

I can just hear Father say, "Who told you you were fat?" I want to be so God-conscious and in a state of rest that I don't see where I need to DO something to become...I want to rest right where I am. And be stunned like I had no idea...."I'm fat? Gosh I had no idea!" A dear friend of mine told me that she was thirty years old and always a great weight when an aunt of hers said something to her about that she looked fat or something. She said it wasn't until that moment that she ever thought about her weight. Then she tried to do something to "fix" it. She dieted and consequently gained weight. Although I think she looks fabulous, she is frustrated and struggles with her weight. She remembers a time before someone called attention to it when she was at a healthy weight. Who told you you were fat, my friend? How and why did you ever come to a place where you believed you were less than you are and now you need to do something to get better. Just rest. Be God-conscious again. Keep your mind renewed to HIS perspective.

Nutritional Nugget: Butternut Squash
I have a butternut squash sitting on my microwave just waiting for me to do something with it. These little dandies are not something I commonly have around the house, but I think I might start. Here are some facts about butternut squash:
They are a kind of winter squash and have a similar sweet, nutty flavor as pumpkin. In some countries, they are known as butternut pumpkin. The more ripe, the deeper the orange it becomes and the sweeter and richer the taste becomes. After cooking, this vegetable is easy to puree up and throw into dishes like mac and cheese or mix 1/2 cup puree with 1/2 shredded cheese and use as the filling for a grilled cheese sandwich.

Butternut squash is rich in fiber and phytochemicals and low in calories. It has even more vitamin A than a pumpkin! WHA?!?! Even the seeds are good for us as a good source of fiber and monounsaturated fatty acids. Go Butternut Squash!

I found the following Roasted Butternut Squash recipe on foodnetwork.com, and I think this is what I will do with my squash:

Ingredients

* 2 medium butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
* 4 teaspoons butter
* 4 teaspoons brown sugar
* Salt and pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Place butternut squash halves on a large baking sheet flesh side up. Place 1 teaspoon butter in the middle of each squash. Sprinkle brown sugar over each squash. Season with salt and black pepper. Roast 25 minutes, until flesh is fork-tender. Reserve 2 halves for future meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment