Sunday, January 1, 2012

Brand New Year's Day

Well, today is January 1, 2012 and guess what my New Year's Resolution is...

I have not posted anything in what seems like forever. I've tried to "think" of something to post. Nothing was wrong. I guess I just recognized the need to reflect for a time about my journey. I've been writing in this blog for the past six months. It has been a great source of healing for me, but maybe the close of 2011 has me thinking. I've even considered giving up my little floggy-blog. Either way I've come to a conclusion with all this pondering about my weight loss journey. I've discovered that I have no answers and barely anything more to say. I've identified every issue that I feel keeps my attention on my "problem". There are no more points to discuss here, and yet, I'm still fat.

December 31, I woke up thinking about the New Year, and of course, before I had my wits about me, I was placing rules on myself about getting fit for 2012. So the thought that accompanied that was of course that "today" I would need to indulge. ---Eat everything and more today because tomorrow boot camp begins. ...Then I fully woke up. What a horrible way of thinking....and why is that way of thinking still in my head before I am fully awake. I'll tell you why.....I obviously have not been fully persuaded in my heart. Here is the truth. Just the fact I thought about indulging means I'm not ready to take any more steps. If I'm not willing to "Do" right now, then what makes me think I will be willing tomorrow. I might "DO" okay if I slap on a bunch of laws, but I've been down that rabbit trail and it leads to disaster. I don't care if I gain 50 more pounds, I'm NOT going to put myself under law. I think I still may be recovering from the last time I tried a "diet." I refuse that method. I desire to be healthy and fit. So I laid there with my eyes open realizing that whenever I finally decide to "begin" again, it will be because I am lead to out of grace and rest and contentment and NOT because I lack something or need to improve myself. I obviously fail in this area. I've proven to myself time and time and time again that I CAN NOT DO THIS. Why would I ever think I can do anything. So I just laid there and talked with my heavenly Padre. "Lord, give me grace to walk out of this." ...and that was it. There are no rules. There are no formulas. Wouldn't you know....I forgot to eat breakfast. I had a great opportunity to stuff myself for lunch, but I just didn't want to. It took me about an hour to snack on a small plate of finger foods at the New Year's Eve gathering. I don't know about the New Year, but today I wore size grace and that was good enough me. Tomorrow I think I will wake up and put on grace again. It always fits no matter what size jeans I wear. I still feel like I don't really have anything to say, but you know what the best part of the New Year is for me this year? I have no resolution. Thank Jesus 2011 is gone, but I'm not new because of a date on the calendar. Being aware of how I am brand new is something to celebrate, and what a great day today to celebrate even if it happens to be 1/1/2012. I will keep putting on grace and pretty soon my jean size will match it.

Nutritional Nugget: Salmonella
I remember the lecture on Salmonella well. My professor said, "Assume eggs are 100% salmonella." I still think about that every time I crack open an egg. Salmonella is a nasty little guy that can be prevented easily with safe cooking and food-handling techniques. As usual, always wash hands before preparing foods. Make sure work areas and utensils are clean and free from contamination. For example, don't chop veggies on the same cutting board you just chopped chicken. Freezing foods won't kill it, but heat and UV rays do. Cook foods, (especially meats,) to at least 140 degrees for 12 minutes. Wash hands immediately after handling reptile critters especially turtles.

1 comment:

  1. Size grace is the only size I want to wear. Can we have nothing to say together, Audrey? I want freedom.. real freedom..and I become more and more convinced that there is only one way. And that is for my heart to be persuaded that I am enough, I'll have what I need and I am okay. Until that happens it's all effort. Thank you for being you!!!

    ReplyDelete