Sunday, January 22, 2012

Light Hope

I didn't realize there are still fragments of weighty thoughts buried within me. I got a glimpse of hope this week. Just an inspiring word about weight loss wins from a friend of mine. Something about hearing her words made me feel empowered. The next day was easy and effortless to make great choices and promote my own weight loss. I didn't realize what was happening until reflecting at the end of the day. That's when I realized that I was still carrying around the thought, "This journey is overwhelming." That's a big one I do not want to have. I didn't realize how much weight that thought had on my mind. I didn't know I still felt overwhelmed. Other things have happened this week revealing more and more of my heart to me. I really believe that the physical weight I have is associated with the weight I carry on the inside. I'm not under pressure to "fix" myself. I'm perfectly content to rest. Everyday the truths of my heavenly reality are revealed to me more and more. I know there is much more for me to see, but today I can rest in what I know that I know that I know. I know my God is good. I can trust him. I know his unforced rhythms of grace will effortlessly deliver me as I begin to submit to his great love. I trust him to do that without help from me. I've given this example before, but my life really is like going on a beautiful nature hike. (Something I love to do.) I imagine I have on a back pack and I feel great. Then a rock I've been carrying around works it way to the top of my pack and falls out. No matter how insignificant the weight, I feel lighter and my way is easier now that it is gone. I didn't know I was carrying such a burden around, but I'm happy it is gone. Hope shined a light on the dark weight of "feeling overwhelmed," and helped me to release it at least a little more. It is actually a big deal for me to admit that I am happy and content even though I can't "see" everything yet. God in his goodness continues to reveal the better life to us, but I can be content in where I am today. It's not that I'm "improving," it's that everyday I awaken to his realities of who I am more and more. I let him take out the rocks, the blinders, the weights. Effortless IS the only way....because He IS the only way. I really stand in awe of how good he is. I'm so thankful for his "light."

Nutritional Nugget:
We pulled into a parking lot of a grocery store so that Wayne could run in for a few items. Across from us, another family did the same thing and only the lady of the vehicle got out. As she walked in front of us, Luke says, "Is that someone you feed?" At first I didn't understand, but then I realized he was referring to my work. I said "No." Then he said, "She looks old to me. Why doesn't she live at your work?" ....Oh my funny, innocent, little babes.

I work at several nursing homes. One of my favorite things about my job description is how nutrition related to the geriatric population is different from any other age group. I LOVE to feed these people. It is more important for them to have a little extra padding on them. So "overweight" to most people would be just about right for them. During my internship interview, I was asked, "If you have a diabetic patient in a nursing home who wants a cupcake what would you do." After I answered three times about appropriate interventions to deal with this, the interviewees were still pushing me for the correct answer. I finally became frustrated and said, "One cupcake one kill them." They smiled and said, "That's the right answer."

The more liberal the diet, the better. I wish that every nursing home resident could be put on a regular diet, and then if they have individual needs, we can address those. For example, I would rather give a diabetic whatever he wants, but if he becomes sick and his blood sugar is having a strain even with medication, we can alter his diet then to help control his blood sugar. Or if a person can't get their swelling under control with medications, then let's give them a low sodium diet. This way of thinking is a bit different than the regular "norm", but food is a simple pleasure they can enjoy. I am happy to oblige.

1 comment:

  1. Unforced rhythms of Grace... what a beautiful word picture of what walking in His Rest is.

    ReplyDelete