Friday, October 25, 2013

Detox

 There's a lot of health gurus out there who aren't dietitians but have information about weight loss. Everybody's got the skinny on obesity.  I think my most favorite thing about being a dietitian is how we apply evidenced-based research to medical diagnoses.  There's a whole heap of research about the woes of being overweight. The complications that can come with obesity can definitely light the fire of health under even the most obstinate.  Staggering numbers make it pretty clear weight loss is important.  But do you know the #1 recommendation for obese people who smoke?  Yep. To quit smoking.  Smoking is even worse than obesity on health.  Somebody may need to lose 250 pounds, but I'm trained to encourage smoking cessation.  It's too hard for most people to quit smoking AND lose weight all in one lump.  It is more practical to quit smoking and just try to maintain weight.

I've never been addicted to a substance.  I don't pretend to know how difficult it would be start a journey to health carrying around an unhealthy physical desire.  I can't imagine.  All I know is what I've read and what people have told me from their own experiences.  Everybody starts somewhere.   I've been thinking a lot about where I started. Even though I've not had to give up a physical substance, I've pretty much been in detox of my mind for the last few years.

My issues probably don't match the issues of others, but they have still been complications to my journey.  They are shackles in my mind that have been keeping me from my ultimate goal....weight loss.  So I've been in my own personal detox. I've been dropping negativity.  I've been forgiving people.  I've been having an attitude of gratitude.  I've been walking more in freedom and letting go of  rules, laws, and expectations I place on myself.  I'm removing the veil from my mind so that I can see more clearly.  I'm emptying my pockets of information to make room for revelation.  You wouldn't believe all the beliefs I've hoarded just because somebody once told me it was so.  phooey.   It always feels good to clean out a closet.  I've been detoxing my beliefs about pretty much everything.  That's a pretty hefty undertaking all the while still beating myself up for not losing weight.  So now it's time to detox THAT expectation as well.  I've been hard on myself.  I'm finally giving myself permission to be happy right where I am.  I've realized I have had such a big win.  Similar to quitting smoking AND losing weight at the same time, it has been difficult to "diet" and detox my mind too.  I've stopped gaining weight, but I've lost some too.  I've only lost a little weight, but I'm happy.  I'm feeling good.  Fifty pounds may not be gone tomorrow, but I'm confident I WILL wake up someday and be fifty pounds down. 

This journey has always been about something more than just losing physical fat, but now it finally FEELS okay to admit that. I'm letting myself off the hook.  I'm not minimizing my wins any more.  It was a success when I quit gaining.  It's a success that I've lost a little weight.  But the biggest win of all is just feeling good about feeling good!  Why did we ever feel guilty for being content with ourselves.  I'm convinced contentment is the perfect environment where freedom can thrive.  Freedom from ourselves.  Freedom from our habits.  Freedom from food.  


1 comment:

  1. This....this, is amazing Audrey. Wow, thank you for being so authentic! Just what I need to read tonight.

    ReplyDelete