Thursday, October 17, 2013

Keeping the Vacation Weight At Bay


Just got back from vacationing at the Gulf of Mexico.  It was nice. I took a small goal with me.  I just wanted to enjoy my vacation and maintain my weight.

I definitely took advantage of the time to unwind.  I really tried to adhere to my feel good plan while I was there. I got caught up on my sleep.  I sneaked in some good exercise most days. I drank a little wine.  I ate what I wanted.  I felt good while I was there, and I came home rested.

But it was vacation...Isn't that the time to let it all go indulge myself?  Not on my feel good plan. We had healthful things I like to eat that were easy to grab when I was hungry.  We kept fruit in the refrigerator, and I had some of my favorite Greek yogurt.  If I really wanted a brownie and then another brownie, then I ate it.  I tried to listen to my body and my desires. I asked myself, "What will make me feel good?"  Then I chose to do it.  It had nothing to do with "trying" to lose weight.  I just wanted to feel good.  I was on vacation!

It made me feel good to go for a walk.  It made me feel good to take a nap when I felt grumpy from the lack of sleep.  It made me feel good to eat lighter breakfast and lunch so I could feel good getting whatever I wanted for supper.  It made me feel good to recline with my feet in the sand, but when I felt like moving, it felt good to jump in the water.

There was one time we stopped for chocolate chip cookies. Fresh, warm, gooey chocolate chip cookies.  They were good!  But in a moment, I was "worried" about my weight.  I got a little frustrated with myself because I wanted those cookies.  There was an inkling of "bad girl!"  But then I decided, it would be okay to have one.  Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!   But I only had one. There were more cookies left in the bag to take with us on our journey.  They were in the middle console. Within my reach. I really wanted another one.  I tried to talk myself out of my desire.  They whispered to me. I couldn't quit thinking about them. I began to get mad at myself again for wanting one.  Miles past.  Such a burden.  Be quiet!  I did NOT want to give in.  It would be silly to throw them out.  Bad cookies!!!!!!  So I finally came to my senses.  Obviously I was making it a law.  Gosh, if I'm going to feel that way about it, then I might as well eat it!  (The feel good plan.)  So I gave myself permission to enjoy another one.  Expectations gone.  Desire fulfilled.   I tore a bite off and put in my mouth, but realized it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be.  It wasn't as good as I remembered when "I thought I couldn't have it."  When I realized deep down I didn't wanted after all, I didn't eat another bite.  I closed the bag.  You know those cookies were quiet for the rest of the trip! 

I LOVE that feeling when I'm so hungry, but then replenish with just enough instead of over stuffing myself.  It reminds me of walking around in wet clothes from a water park then changing into dry just before the drive home.  "ahhhhhhh... It was fun, but this feels better."  I know my eyes are bigger than my stomach so it helps to know that I need between 300 and 500 calories each meal to feel satisfied without feeling stuffed.  That amount of calories makes me feel good---keeps me feeling good.   It's also fun to be hungry the same time the boys were hungry. It makes me feel like I'm on their level.  I even ordered some off the kid's menu.  That was fun too!

I have to admit, it took me a looooooooooooong time to get here, but I'm here. I believe that was all part of the plan...and it feels good.

...Oh I forgot to mention, not only had I maintained my weight, but I had lost a little too.  A Feel Good Plan works for me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment