Monday, February 6, 2012

Guide to Undereating

The last six months of documenting my weight loss journey has been very healing and productive for my heart as far as changing my way of thinking. I guess I could say that I've overcome dangerous eating. There have been some definite peaks and valleys, but all in all, I have stopped gaining weight. I believe I could even classify this as a victory over a food addiction in some ways. I was on a steady weight incline that needed to be stopped. Even though it is a very slow weight loss, it is obvious that I have not arrived. In a practical sense, I have to say that it is rather difficult for me to under eat. I've trained my body well to feel satisfied at a certain too-full level. I really think the best way to go about this is to schedule snacks and regular meals. Plan ahead for more healthful things. Fiber makes us feel more full. I know when I eat lots of fiber in the morning, I don't feel hungry at all then all the sudden my belly growls at me. I LOVE it when that happens!

Nutritional Nugget:


I recently read an article in "Today's Dietitian" about our friendly neighborhood Omega-3s. New research suggest that these fatty acids can help mild to major depression, Postpartum depression, and other mood disorders like bipolar and schizophrenia. (I don't know about you, but I can think of a couple of peeps who could use a good dose of Omega-3.) There are three categories of these fatty acids, but the ones that help with the mood disorders are the EPA and DHA. These will be found in the fat that keeps fish warm as opposed to the ALA which are plant-based food sources like seeds and nuts. Salmon, mackerel, halibut, sardines, tuna, and herring are the trophy DHA and EPA sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment