Monday, November 28, 2011

Death by chocolate from Beth

I added this in my posts a long time ago, but I just noticed that I haven't posted it yet. This is from my great BFF Beth. I love to hear her rant about processed food. (Can't wait to try the pancakes!)

I promise, no i solemnly swear as you as my witness to never, ever by boxed food ever again as long as i live. :) I love to cook. It makes me so happy to cook. My greatest wish come true would be to have you, and the girls over so I can cook for you all my little goodies that I have learned to do. That would be so much fun for me. But last night I made double chocolate pancakes, which is chocolate batter chocolate chip pancakes. They were yummy. Of course you know by now that I don't use white flour, so I used my organic pancake mix and spiced it up with a bit of quinoa flour and spelt, dark chocolate cocoa powder, a sprinkle of raw sugar, an organic egg, coconut milk, handful of ground flax meal, and (here it is) pureed blueberries and spinach that I had frozen earlier. Then later I added the chocolate chips. Wow, they were delicious. I even indulged for the boys and sprayed whipped cream on top which is a stretch for me, but sometimes you just got to. It's not like these pancakes needed it. If I had had some frozen applesauce, I would have added it too. I have to tell you one tidbit i have learned. I never knew what msg was even though I have heard of it. I didn't understand what it did to food or why it was there. I had no idea that people can have allergies to it or be sensitive to it. I also didn't know that it isn't regulated. That it can be on nutrition labels as msg or it can be labeled only as natural flavors. Did you realize that it is as addictive and powerful as crack cocaine? It tells your brain that you are still hungry and need more even though your stomach is telling you that you are full. It amazes me how much of our food in grocery stores is packaged for preservatives for freshness, but those very additives are what is keeping us unhealthy and sick, over weight, and totally addicted to the wrong kind of food that our body is actually craving. There are now two food additives that I will avoid like the plague- msg and hydrogenated oils. just thought you might like to know what I look for when I read the ingredients list. :) That and the sodium content.

No comments:

Post a Comment