Friday, November 11, 2011

Mind on the 'Hind

I heard a sweet girl bud of mine speak so wonderfully this week on trust. (Heather Seyer, You Rock!) She gave the most perfect illustration to something I've noticed in my own life about resting. She rearranged her cabinets to make it more functional in her kitchen, but sometimes she still goes to the old place where her cups used to be just out of habit. The longer she lives in the better design, the less frequently she visits the old cabinet for a cup. Been there? Gosh...I have. I'm learning about rest and experiencing rest and contentment and freedom like never before, but I am a doer by nature. I struggle with Martha popping up to say, "Hi! Get to work!" and feel good about the GOOD I can do. Phooey! ---It's me again. Martha! (That would have been really awesome if Margaret's name would have been Martha.) The more I walk in rest, (Isn't that a funny way to say it?) the less I visit the bunny trail that leads back to condemnation, works, etc. But today...(sigh)...I strapped on the ears and fluffy tail and hopped right down that bunny trail. I didn't get so far down that I got lost or anything, but let's just say I was very aware of the "Dunlap Disease." (I'm laughing...ever heard that? "Belly dunlapped over my belt?") I mean some serious moments of, "Big rear. Over here." "Big Bottom. I got 'em.") Wading around in this thinking caused me to eat a Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie. Yep. I haven't cared that we had a box in the pantry all this week even though I consider that my favorite junk for the trunk. Today I wanted one. Couldn't keep my mind off of it. Felt guilty for even thinking about it, and then I remembered, "How silly." Thinking I can't have one just strengthens the desire to eat a whole truck load of them. So I ate one. I liked it, but you know what? The revelation that, "I can have it if I want it," returned to me, so I didn't have two. I still wandered around that detour on the journey for a little while today, but Wayne brought something home today (an attitude of freedom or something) that just made me realize I wasn't hungry for food. I was starved for some bread of life. Just a little taste of the good stuff made me remember how to find my way. Now..."I'm hungry? I had no idea." Freedom from food tastes so sweet.

Nutritional Nugget: Corn
A"maize"ing! Oh the stories I will spare you about corn!

Corn is not exactly known for its nutrient density, but did you know that we had an epidemic of a niacin deficiency called Pellagra because we soaked the corn in a liquid that caused the niacin to leak out? Why do we white people think we can "improve" the Indians. Yikes! Pellagra is a yucky and unnecessary disease known for the four D's: Diarrhea, Dermatitis, Dementia, Death. Whoa Yucky!

Corn is so cool. We eat it in a variety of ways like popcorn, corn on the cob, corn bread, the fairy tale porridge, hominy, grits, etc. But it is also grown and used in other ways. Art, Maize Mazes, Biofuel, products like plastics, adhesives, fabrics. I mean let's give corn some credit. Yes, it's disgusting when you change a baby diaper, but it saved our pilgrim rear ends. It might not be known for curing cancer, but we can certainly celebrate the history of it this Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

  1. God gave me that while I was folding laundry one day staring at my cabinets..ha ha, He speaks in really simple, yet profound ways and I love that you can take what He showed me and see it as truth for your life and then reveal some extra revelation back to me. that is just so amazing to me.

    ReplyDelete