Thursday, August 4, 2011

Day 43 Food For Thought: Reboot

Today is a day of new beginnings. I woke up well. Everything that was purged and healed from my body and soul this week is behind me. Today is a day of new mercies. I woke up talking to myself as Skinny Me. That meant habits from just days ago did not apply. New habits are forming even as simple as what I want for breakfast. Today I chose mixed nuts with my coffee when not too long ago, I would have eaten a biscuit. For lunch, I ate a salad and chose an olive oil dressing instead of a creamy one. (Nuts and olive oil are monounsaturated fatty acids. I'm striving for these instead of saturated fats to help reduce the squishy around my middle.)

I am still learning. I went to a party and ate some party food, but I had planned for it. On the way home, I felt like I wanted to eat a lot. I'm talking like a box of good-for-nothings-but-stretchy-pants in one sitting kind of a hunger. I am happy for the drive. It forced me to evaluate myself instead of indulging. I was logical. I knew I had eaten plenty today and should not be as hungry as I was. I began to reason that maybe I did not have enough fiber-filling vegetables and tomorrow I will be sure to add more. Something was unsettling. I finally asked the question I will always be sure to ask myself from now on. "Why do I want to eat?" Then the answer came. I bought something for myself at the party. My emotions were acting crazy, but I barely noticed. I do not like to spend money, and I apparently could not justify spending money on myself. Once I realized what was happening, I settled myself. "It is ok. I did nothing wrong." Suddenly, I was not STARVING anymore. I felt satisfied. In my subconscious mind I was punishing myself for "nothing"----spending money on me. Then I wanted to comfort myself with food for my own punishment. Why am I so weird? I must be very sensitive to emotions. I will take heed to myself. This is just part of my new beginning, and I already like it.

***All day I kept thinking I want to change my blog design. "Ba humbug! Unnecessary time destroyer!" Now I think, well duh! Today is a day of new beginnings. Might as well be holistic about this. I am not the same person I was last week and neither is my blog.***

Today's Guest Wins
I cannot say enough about how PROUD I am of a dearest friend who joined me on this journey June 28th. Thirty-six days later, she is sixteen pounds lighter and says it has been effortless. I saw her at the party tonight and shamefully haven't seen her since May-ish or so. She was beautifully at peace AND looked amazing! God is so good to bring us together on my day of new beginnings. We talked about things I've posted, and she makes me feel like I am not alone. I feel so energized and inspired now. She said when she realized that she would be the same person no matter her weight, things just sort of clicked. She has never lost this much weight at once with this much ease. The most gorgeous part is that someone made a comment to her today. "You look so good in that picture, I couldn't even tell it was you!" Hmmmmm....compliment? Well she took it as one when she says just a few short months ago it would have bothered her. My friends, what a win! She does not get her self worth from her appearance and as a result weight is falling off. So proud of you, Bestie!

Nutritional Nugget
Got some questions about food labels. I'll try to explain a little at a time.
"Nutrition Facts" are required on all prepackaged foods. Directly under it you will find the serving size. The serving sizes listed are not necessarily the USDA approved servings for menu planning, although they might be. The serving sizes listed on the label are supposed to be used to understand that label.

I have a story to illustrate this. When I was first in nutrition, everyone seemed to feel like they had to confess their "eating sins" to me even though I could care less. (This was way back when I thought I was fat but wasn't. Now I guess people can obviously tell I could care less.) Someone, who was eating a snack cake, said to me, "I ate this snack cake but it only had 300 calories." I picked up the package. It said, "300 calories" alright. But the serving size was "1/3 of cake." Wha?!?! That means the entire snack cake really had 900 calories. Noticing serving sizes are the first line of defense in reading labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment