Friday, August 19, 2011

Day 52 Food For Thought: The Skinny on Pizza

I love pizza. My dad opened up Papa Don's Pizza when I was ten-years-old. That was my first job. I made 50 cents an hour starting out, but I got lots of raises. I had to stand on a stool to count back the change to the customers. I must have been pretty cute counting back their change because I got lots of nice comments accompanied by good tips. I have lots of fond memories of pizza eating.

When Wayne and I were engaged and planning for our future, we had many "deep" conversations about how I would not be able to eat any other pizza for a long time after we married, and I hoped he was okay with that. I was used to eating Papa Don's pizza almost daily, and I could not stand the thought of abandoning my dad's recipe for a less sentimental, tasteless version. After our wedding we drove to the hotel, and we were STARVING. There was nothing open except for...you guess it! We had a pizza delivered to our room! We still laugh about that story.

I remember my little, itty-bitty, tiny friend came for a visit during high school. I mean this girl weighed 110 pounds WHEN SHE WAS NINE MONTHS PREGNANT! What the...? We had (of course) pizza. Her comment still rings in my ears. She held her belly as if in pain and said, "Oh my gosh, I am so full. I ate like two pieces!" Um...ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha! For those of you who could ever put away some pizza, you know why that is funny.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to say something like that and mean it when Skinny Me gets here. I've still got some thinking to change. I want to start thinking as Skinny Me even if that means one-tenth of a pizza makes me feel full. Actually, I'm looking forward to it....yes, I actually am looking forward to it. One more giant leap down the journey!

Wins For Today:
Today was a great day. I made me a green smoothie for breakfast. We wore ourselves out in the sun on a pontoon boat and swimming in the lake. Then we had supper with our bestie buds who fixed us amazing homemade chili, salad, and pecan pie. Although the food was delicious and not exactly promoting a weight-reduction diet, it was so nice to be able to fully enjoy it because I know that every food can fit. It did fit well with the lower-calorie meals I have been enjoying lately. (I still lost weight this week.) The big win is that I do not feel deprived one ounce, yet I am still losing ounces. This stuff really does work. ...it is slow, but it works. I'd rather be slow with freedom than in bondage to force. If I force myself, it is not effortless, it is not permanent, and it is me doing it from my own will. I like this freedom stuff. I am enjoying my food, enjoying my journey, weightless in my mind, happy and resting.

Nutritional Nugget:
Sometimes elevated triglycerides are a product of high blood sugars. It is important to check your blood glucose levels if you have high triglycerides. Eating excessive carbohydrates can sometimes be the culprit behind elevated triglyceride levels. Let me repeat that carbohydrate foods are not bad! We need carbs. Our bodies are designed to function efficiently on carbohydrates. (I despise diets that eliminate carbs.) However, there are better choices of carbohydrates. Choose carbs with higher fiber and nutrients and lower in processed sugar. Remember anytime you overeat in calories, it could increase your triglyceride level. Some carbohydrate foods may cause a rise in blood sugar more than other foods. These foods are often ranked on a glycemic index. There is lots of controversy regarding this index. I personally am not a fan. People who are think eating ice cream is better than carrots. Wha? The index changes with the composition of the entire meal. Having said that, I think it is possible to use it as a tool in regard to triglycerides.

No comments:

Post a Comment