Monday, August 15, 2011

Day 50 Food For Thought: She and Me

As I reflect over this journey, I can tell that the more aware I become that I am Skinny Me, the more healthful I eat and the more I effortlessly choose a weight-reducing diet. When I have an awareness of that reality that I have already arrived, the more easily the weight seems to fall off. I am more aware of her....but see what I did? I called her, "her." I still see Skinny Me and Fat Me as two separate people. Actually, I see myself somewhere in the middle. I don't feel as fat as I actually am, but I do identify with Fat Me more. This journey is mostly a process of seeing me as Skinny Me and Fat Me as someone I left (with a big) behind.

Wins For Today:
I feel like I have turned over a new leaf. It is like I have finally uncovered my ability to cook and eat more healthful. I think it has to do with letting go of all those issues that made me feel like I would be deprived. It also helped to plan.

These are my supper menus so fat this week. I know some things could have a lot of calories and fat, but good cooking techniques can really reduce the fat and calories. There are a whole lot more opportunities for vegetables in these menus, and I chose to eat more veggies and less meat and grain.

Tilapia, Quinoa, Spinach Salad, Peas.

Chicken Cacciatore, Whole Gran Spaghetti Noodles, Stir-fry Mushrooms and Spinach, and a Salad.

Salmon Patties, Steamed Vegetables, Mashed Potatoes, Salad

Baked BBQ Chicken, Baked Beans, Quinoa, Salad

Nutritional Nugget:
Overeating can cause high triglycerides. There was a study done on mice who were given the same amount of food and weighed exactly the same. One group was not fed for a period of time and lost weight. Food was reintroduced to the mice that had been starved. These mice ate constantly until they had consumed the same amount of food the other group who had not been starved had. They reweighed both groups and discovered their weight was the same. When they measured the fat content of the mice, the group who had been starved were significantly higher in fat.

This shows that if we skip meals and overeat to make up for the needed calories, our bodies have and store more fat. It is better to spread out the calories over the day instead of skip meals and eat the calorie need in one sitting. This helps to lower our triglycerides.

No comments:

Post a Comment