Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Really Good Day

I stocked up on some fresh fruits at the grocery store yesterday. This is my idea of planning ahead. I love fruit and it is something I can quickly grab when I'm in a hurry. This morning I ate one apple, string cheese, and sissified coffee on the way into work. I worked through lunch because I wanted to leave early to go to Knoxville for a Bible study. I was so hungry when I left work I was shaking, but I brought me an apple and enjoyed that on the way home. So here is the part where I shout out to my friend Terry and compliment myself. Every time I am around her, I find out that we are more similar than I thought! And she is on a mission to make the cover dish from Southern Living. She made us baked banana pudding from scratch...you know the kind with meringue on top. I SAVORED it! Totally hit the spot. I was thankful for a day of spared calories because it made it even that much more sweet. I've had a bit of trouble with banana allergy in the past. Trust me, it was well worth the itching-potential. My stomach started getting a tad upset, and even though it was worth it, I did pray for healing and it went as fast as it came. Ha ha ha! Yes, I will be eating more banana pudding in the future and hopefully lots of it. Mark taught on communion...The way it is supposed to be. It was such good word. Even though we had big crunchy crackers and cran-grape juice, I couldn't help but think about the things Jesus ate as he celebrated his life here. Jesus had fun. He partied all the time. He was accused of being a drunkard and a glutton. He experienced some good eatin'! But you know what...food didn't have him. As I awaken more and more to who I REALLY, REALLY AM, the more I realize food doesn't have me either. So when we grabbed pizza afterward, I enjoyed 1 1/2 pieces. I was well satisfied, but not stuffed. I ate it because I wanted to, and because I was hungry. When we got home, habit sent me a message that said I needed to eat just because I was home. The real me didn't want to. So I didn't. I'm already excited about what tomorrow will bring and the freedom I get to enjoy with food on the side. I was telling Bronda about this, and that I think I've finally found my path to freedom from food. She made a statement I will never forget because everything Bronda says is important. "The reason we overeat is because we are trying to feed a lack." Sheeeeewww! THAT is some good "eating" right there! That sums it up for me! Lack is like a black hole. What you feed it to try to appease it just increases the lack because there is nothing that can ever satisfy it. Nothing can fill up a lack-hole because lack doesn't exist. How can you fill up something imaginary? Trying to fill it up just makes you more aware of how empty it is. It makes you feel lack even more and have a desire to fill it with even more. Trying to fix the lack causes a vicious cycle for sure! Eating out of lack just makes me want to eat more. Hello Weight Gain! The "her" I refer to is someone I created. "She" is my lack. Lack doesn't exist because the truth is that we lack nothing. I will look to my right. I will agree with The Truth. My actions will follow my belief. I lack nothing. Therefore I will eat because I have a hunger and because I want to. I will choose more healthful things because I have a desire for them. Also I want to take care of this temple that I live in. I will not eat to try to fill an imaginary need.

Nutritional Nugget
Eating right is just as simple as the gospel and also like the gospel you have to have help to misunderstand it. The American Dietetic Association has some really good simple tips on their website in honor of Nutrition Month coming up in March. The following was taken from that:

Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.

* Eat a variety of vegetables, especially dark-green, red and orange varieties, as well as beans and peas.
* When buying canned vegetables, choose "reduced sodium" or "no salt added" whenever possible. Rinsing whole varieties like beans, corn and peas can also reduce sodium levels.
* Dried and frozen fruits and those canned in water or their own juice are good options when fresh varieties are not available.
* Make sure every meal and snack has at least one fruit or vegetable or both.

1 comment:

  1. Audrey, Thanks for the "shout out" and know that I send it right back to you.You inspire me... just by being so authentic and open. It's so good to talk to fellow seekers who are walking a similar path and want freedom.. only freedom as any kind of "answer". I completely agree with what Bronda says about "lack". That's really the only reason to "over"eat or "over"anything. If we recognize enough, there would be no "over". Only the lie of lack keeps us from recognizing enough.

    ReplyDelete