Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Day 57 Food For Thought: This Rest Stuff Works!

I read a comment by the fantabulous Bertie Britt. I cannot say that I agree with any one person 100%, but I can say I have never disagreed with anything I have heard Mr. Bertie teach. There are plenty of people who have influenced where I am today, but I think it would be accurate to say that Bertie's messages have accelerated me into right-mindedness more than anyone.

He wrote, "The wonderful thing about the Gospel is that we are set free from fruit-bearing as the ultimate goal in life. The ultimate goal is to enter His rest and then we will see HIM BEARING HIS FRUIT IN US. The emphasis is not on us to become like Him but on Him to give birth to his life in us by us simply believing in what He has done on behalf of the human race."

...beautiful.

I applied this to my weight-loss journey. I became so happy when I really did realize, "This stuff is working!" Instead of me "TRYING to improve myself...to MAKE visible efforts...and FORCE behavior modification, I have been LABORING into rest. Putting off the mentality of "I must do to become" has not exactly been easy. There is a whole LOT of ME in the way. I want to make it about me. I want to make my weight loss about how good I am. There are so many temptations to let my reflection in the mirror catapult me into "will worship." It can be hard work to walk in rest, live in contentment, accept me for me just as I am. It is very humbling to try to see myself as my Father sees me. He sees nowhere I need to improve. Did I really admit that out loud? I can see plenty of needed improvements especially when I look in the mirror or try on clothes or put on pants that are not elastic. Trying on non-stretchy pants in the fitting room with walls of mirrors is the ultimate worst opportunity for me to fall into temptation of believing I am not good enough. I HATE to shop for clothes for myself. Isn't that ironic? How does weighing too much make me feel not enough?

My ultimate goal is not to lose weight (fruit-bearing.) My goal is to live in a state of rest. The more I rest, the more HIS fruit (his reality/my reality) is born in me. I can testify to that for sure. Cares of this world, weariness, and heavy burdens weigh me down. The more weight I let go of in my soul, the more I walk in rest. The more I walk in rest, the more physical weight I lose without trying. His fruit was born in me this week as I walked in rest. I was so at rest and so enjoyed my food that I thought I must have gained weight...Nope. (Cue today's win...)

Wins for today:
I lost another pound in just four days. How could that happen? All I remember eating was a donut and some smoked sausage. I rested for the most part, and my weight loss reflects that.

My new favorite saying: This rest stuff really "works!"

Nutritional Nugget:
Another Dandy Little Greeny.

Ingredients
1 banana, cut in chunks
1 cup grapes
1 (6 ounce) tub vanilla yogurt
1/2 apple, cored and chopped
1 1/2 cups fresh spinach leaves

Directions
1.Place the banana, grapes, yogurt, apple and spinach into a blender. Cover, and blend until smooth, stopping frequently to push down anything stuck to the sides. Pour into glasses and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment