Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day 12 Food For Thought: Clean-Plate Mentality

I and others I know have a clean-plate mentality. It is subtle, but unhealthy to eat any and all food that is placed in front of us. Instead of letting the plate be the boss, we need to listen to the physical needs of our body. I believe it is a mentality of lack. We don't want to waste, but we must realize we are worth more becoming human garbage disposals. It seems that once the plate is clean, it is easy to go back for seconds. Eating is very psychological. When we don't rest and think about and enjoy our food, we feel we have not eaten and desire food time. There is something significant about leaving food on our plate. It sends a message to ourselves that we are indeed finished. For those of us who hate to throw food away, try getting extra small portions and getting seconds as our body desires. I think we will all be surprised how little food it takes to satisfy ourselves. AND our food budget will look better too.

Wins for Today:
Even the smallest bit of change can bring anxiety to me. I guess the fear of the unknown is real to us. This weekend, there were times that I thought I was hungry, but recognized it as comfort for that small amount of anxiety I was experiencing. I was able to release those cares instead of trying to cover them up with food.

Nutritional Nugget:
Red foods like tomatoes, watermelon and pink grapefruit contain lycopene. Lycopene is a phytochemical that may help in cancer prevention in particularly prostate cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment