Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 16 Food For Thought: Un"rap"ping Food

As I was driving to a new job, I was thinking about this journey. I had a small revelation about this stepping out of the boat situation. What I realized is that when life got stirred up a bit in the past, I counteracted with food to try to bring balance and peace to the ever so slight turmoil. I'm not allowing myself to meet any emotional need with food any longer, but I realized that I still blame food and still see it as a bondage when it isn't. I know that must sound weird, but I can explain. I have not been going overboard with food, and my eating habits and beliefs about food have significantly changed the past weeks. The last few days I have felt out of sorts with this journey. I felt overwhelmed and like I cannot do it even though I was still walking it out. Then I realized that other areas of life are really what is out of sorts. Life is busy at the moment with a small amount of distractions, decisions, detours, etc. Even our house is topsy turvy as we are in “House that Cleans Itself Mode.” It feels like every significant area is being purged in someway.... Food, Body, House... I have always sought comfort in food during times like these. I'm not befriending food any more, but I am still considering food as my solution to this tad bit of emotional turbulence I am experiencing. I'm trying to tell myself that the way I feel and think these days is because this journey is just too long and hard. That is just not the truth. I've had more effortless days than mental rabbit trail days. It is time that I prioritize and properly categorize my thoughts and emotions. If I feel _____, it is not because I'm choosing more water and less sweet tea. It is because I am trying to avoid dealing with _____ emotion. Now I recognize that I feel ____ because.....1) when my house is this chaotic, I feel chaos on the inside. 2) when my boys behave this way, I feel heavy pressure knowing how to handle the situation. Definitely don't wanna mess up no body. ← (read with as much hillbilly accent possible) 3) Planning for future is exciting and anxious at the same time? 4) So many irons in the fire makes me just want to go to bed for a few days. 5) all of the above? Plus about 50 more possibilities. When I can clearly see the details of the chaos (no matter how seemingly insignificant,) it is easier to hear the proper solution when the problem is defined. Food can never be the solution for mental malfunctions. Now that I can see, I feel like I've stepped back in the boat even while I enjoy feasting with the fantastic family for the rest of the weekend.

Today's Guest Wins
My amazing Aunt Nonny has been lacing up those walking shoes and hitting the trails this week. What a great WIN! I love that we never EVER do anything alone. When she shared the changes she is making with me, (even though they seem small to her,) it did something spectacular inside me. Her win brought me a truck load of inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing this! This journey is even more fun and seemingly effortless when we have company on our “walk.”

If you would be willing to share some wins, please let me know. Even what seems to be a small spark to you could be what ignites the engine in someone else. It might even be something like you tried a new nutritionally dense recipe that you could share. Then we would all win!

This Week's Baby Step on the Journey:
I'm going to increase my exercise! My goal will be to exercise at least 30 minutes daily. THANKS, NONNY!

Nutritional Nugget
Do you know the first sign of dehydration? Thirst! Make sure you have plenty of water to drink especially during these hot weather days. Sometimes we feel hungry when really all we need is some fluid. Body signals scream for water and will try to get it anyway possible even from food. When you feel hungry at unusual times, try increasing your water consumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment