Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 32 Food For Thought: "Good Toast." --Nacho

Nacho to the Nun: “I was wondering if you would join me in my quarters this night for some toast.”

I think of that quote from “Nacho Libre,” one of my most quoted movies (second only to “Groundhog Day,”) as I ponder on this thought for today....

“Our Father in heaven.....give us this day our daily bread...”

Is that really talking about food? Or is that referring to the Bread of Life? Multiple times in the scriptures Jesus is referred to as nourishment for us. “Eat my flesh. Drink my blood.” etc.

Today and tomorrows, when I start to eat, taste, or lick anything, I will ask myself...which “bread” am I really hungry for? And does whatever I am about to eat bring me life?

“Those eggs were a lie, Stephen. A lie! They give me no eagle powers. They give me no nutrients!” --Nacho

I choose to dine WITH the Bread of Life for today and all tomorrows.

Wins for Today:
My win for today is that I cannot think of anywhere I got off course. I normally struggle with staying focused on the wins. My tendency is to focus on the failures. ---things I THINK are failures.

Nutritional Nugget
Fast food is not friendly for cholesterol. A single patty cheeseburger might have around 85 grams of cholesterol not to mention the saturated or trans fats. When considering 200mg is the guideline for those dealing with cholesterol, that does not sound like a dandy choice. Add milk shake and some super sized fries and the fat content gets even scarier. Most fast food places have healthier menu options, but you could get a plain burger and a side salad or a fruit cup instead of fries to help limit the lipids going down. Most restaurant nutritional information is available. Here is a link I like:
http://www.foodfacts.info/

No comments:

Post a Comment