Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day 23, 24, 25 Food For Thought: Weekend Wins With Iron Man

We had a great weekend. Aunt Ca Ca, Uncle James, and Allie Bear, who are only relatives at heart, moved into our house with our boys for the whole weekend while Wayne and I went somewhere, anywhere, away. WIN! At the last minute, we decided on Nashville. Unfortunately, the Bluebird Cafe was packed out due to our insufficient planning, but we had a great time doing other stuff like pretending the pool outside our hotel was really in the Caribbean instead of the metropolitan area. (We watch way too much Barney.)

I actually gained a lot of ground on my weight loss journey in the midst of our little weekend journey. Of course our “venture,” (as Luke called it,) began with food. We traded the Bluebird for Red Robin. Yes, it was yummy. Yes, we did not clean our plates. But yes, we ate too much. It's okay. We had wins for dessert. We sat there having a good time sipping on Freckled Lemonade and fixing all the problems of the world. The real wins are the decisions we made to improve health. We decided that feeling of being too full is not worth it. Without any persuasion from me, Wayne decided to jump on board the weight loss journey. That is such a huge win for me. I now co-habitat with a fine-looking, accountability partner. Iron sharpens iron, and he is my Iron man. His strength makes my load that much lighter.

We discussed what this journey would mean for us in the practical sense and implemented those the rest of the weekend. We split meals which means we ate what we wanted, but the portions were more appropriate. We felt satisfied but not stuffed, drank water, and we saved so much more money. We also caught up on some much needed shuteye. We must have slept twenty-four hours. (Ca Ca, that is the best present anyone could give us.) Feeling rested really made me reevaluate how I am only hindering my journey by not going to bed. I am still not ready to put my night owl nature to bed, but I know that will be a baby step I will take soon.

Nutritional Nugget
More cholesterol blah blah blah...
There are different variations of cholesterol. There are little balls of cholesterol floating around our blood stream called lipoproteins. The more “lipo,” or fat they contain, the worse they are for us. You might have heard them called “good cholesterol” or “bad cholesterol.” The HDL Cholesterol is actually High Density Lipoprotein which means it contains more protein than fat. This is what we consider the good cholesterol. It acts as a scavenger in our blood collecting the bad cholesterol and taking it back to the liver for processing. Exercising is a big help in increasing the HDL levels. It is recommended to get at least thirty minutes of exercise a day. I think kids should be moving a lot more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment