Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 30 Food For Thought: Punished By Food

After chatting with several of my readers, experiencing some things with some recent patients, and hearing about some reality folk on the tube, I have a major food issue on my heart today. I do not consider this a personal struggle necessarily, but I deal with it regularly with other people. A reader recently told me how she enjoyed this blog and how it is helping her realize that she does not need to punish herself with food. MAJOR WIN!

We can use food as a punishment in two basic ways. We can binge until we are miserable, or we can deprive ourself of this basic need. I have binged before, eating things I did not want, but making myself eat anyway. I did not like that at all. I already did not want it, but then the guilt feeling that followed reaffirmed all the negative feelings I was already having about myself. These times have rarely happened, but I felt what it feels like to be a bit out of control in this area. I guess it was a moment of addiction. I have actually met people who have had gastric bypass surgery who weigh more after the surgery. Um...if you know anything about that surgery, you know it would take some skill to conquer that. Part of the stomach is removed and reattached further down the intestinal tract so that it bypasses a major part of the area where digestion and absorption occurs. One would have to eat constantly and would most definitely have some major malabsorption issues like diarrhea. I cannot imagine their discomfort. Why do people do this to their bodies? I am sure there are lots of issues that might cause this. This seems to be like a food hoarder as I have posted before.

I have also met dear friends who have deprived themselves of food and struggle with anorexia. I never understood this until I met a friend who had overcome this. She is still a little underweight and often spoke of her “chubby” sister. I met her sister who is perfect in every way physically. It is puzzling to me that my friend's perspective of her sister was “chubby” when she was right at her ideal body weight. I had many questions for her and she was glad to help me understand. She was a straight A student, an athlete, a musician. Everything she did is excellent. She said she never felt good enough. She would strive for perfection and was never satisfied with herself. She said it was addicting to lose weight because she felt like that was something she could control. At her worst point, she weighed 50 pounds in a 5 foot 4 inches body. She admits still having physical symptoms related to anorexia even though she has been healthy for over a decade. She said that there was not a day that goes by that she doesn't think of her struggle. How sad that she is still in bondage to it even though she is healthy now.

These are extreme cases, but I think each of us who struggle with weight can identify with root issues that might lead to these disorders. Perfectionism? Control issues? Self-worth issues? Lack? Guilt? Condemnation? Lord Jesus help us to know we already are and to see that the issues we struggle with only as bad dreams.

Wins for Today
Today was by baby's 2nd birthday. I was more than a little emotional. Wayne sent me to have a massage. It is amazing how right-minded one can become once relaxed. Win.

Nutritional Nugget
I got this from
http://cholesterol.about.com/od/exercise/Exercise_and_Cholesterol.htm
I concur with these guidelines and think it is great advice with practical principles.

"Moderate exercise (about 30 minutes five times a week) not only reduces LDL cholesterol, it also can raise HDL cholesterol, too. You don’t have to be a triathelete or have a gym membership to get exercise -- there are many studies that suggest even brisk walking will help to lower your cholesterol levels. However, the more intense aerobic exercises, such as jogging, will raise your HDL levels the best. Current research has shown that 30 minutes of aerobic exercise can raise HDL levels by 3 to 6 mg/dL. These results are evident after 24 hours, and can persist up to fifteen days after exercising. If you don’t have the time to commit to a 30-minute workout, don’t sweat it. Some studies have shown that individuals who have divided this time into 15-minute intervals, as opposed to exercising 30 minutes straight, receive the same healthy benefits of exercise."

No comments:

Post a Comment