Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 29 Food For Thought: No More Games

I have been playing peek-a-boo with deprivation. I am happy to recognize this. I know I am more right-minded, but every now and then I feel a tug of war with my flesh. When I lower myself to join in the game, my will wins at least round one. But then my flesh starts pouting. My flesh begins to manipulate me by telling me I am deprived. When I buy into that feeling of deprivation, I lose. I give in to that feeling. I feed myself with food when I really should be taking care of the deprivation issue on a mental level. I am making a decision to recognize when deprivation pokes its ugly head into mine. I am making a decision not to play. I will not take a bite of the temptation that I lack. I will stay focused on my journey. Deprivation is a rabbit trail in the opposite direction. I will ask myself, “My do I feel deprived?” Maybe I will answer that I think I lack when truth says I have been given all things. Maybe I will answer that I am afraid of the unknown. I can deal with it without playing peek-a-boo deprivation. Deprivation is a distraction. I will continue to look ahead. Just keep walking, walking, walking.

Wins for Today
Planned for a big, healthy supper with friends. I worked today and ate enough to keep up my energy without overeating causing me to feel sluggish.

Nutritional Nugget
Increasing fiber intake decreases cholesterol levels. Fiber is found in plant food groups which are fruit, vegetables, and grains. It is not as difficult as you think to increase fiber, but it can take a few trips to the grocery store before you fully figure it out. Be sure to read labels, and add some fresh fruits and more vegetables to your daily menu. If you have kids who do not like vegetables, I highly recommend the “Deceptively Delicious” cookbook concept. Hide veggies in their food.

Increasing Fiber at Breakfast:
Even things as easy as adding a can of pumpkin to a cake mix (yellow or chocolate) will increase fiber and nutrition and is a tasty muffin for breakfast.

Add all kinds of pureed goodness to pancakes. My favorite is mashed sweet potatoes, but beets are extra great. If I don't have fresh beets to puree, I puree one can for about every 2-3 cups of flour used in the pancake recipe. Also add some ricotta cheese for extra protein. Throw in some ground flax seed as the Spirit leads. I usually make the beet pancakes bite size. Sprinkle on some powdered sugar instead of syrup. Even the pickiest kids will eat up beet pancakes, and they are cool because they are pink.

There are some good cereals out there that are more natural and have a decent amount of fiber. I actually really love the FiberOne cereals that are out now. I have also made some Kashi treats before as opposed to rice crispy treats, but made the same way. Kashi Treats are good because you can make them up ahead and grab them and go out the door if you don't have time to sit down. They are yummy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment